it was kind of nice to not be obsessing for the past couple of weeks. i didn’t realize just how stressed i was until i came roaring back last night. i tossed and turned all night, worrying about today’s wtf, and finding a new clinic, and my general un-pregnant-ness. so please forgive the lack of coherent thoughts from today’s appointment. according to Dr. Derman:
- i was over-surpressed & then hyper-stimmed. the increase in e2 levels causes an increase in testosterone, which lowers egg quality.
- even though he still won’t say officially that i have PCOS, he’s going to treat me just like i am
- his notes said that there were some difficulties during transfer: i guess he had to bend the catheter a bit to get it to work, but did say there was no blood and he saw the “flash of light” and those are both good signs
- he doesn’t suspect a sperm issue (other than those that made us need ICSI to begin with) since we had 10 out of 13 fertilize. he says a rate of 60-75% is to be expected with ICSI
- he couldn’t find my embryologist’s report on the computer (which we knew from the phone call with Hina). but it wasn’t just that a page from my file was missing – someone else’s report was scanned into my file! seriously? he left to find the hardcopy, and couldn’t. if there was any doubt before, i am sure i am dumping his ass.
- when i asked if then endo can effect implantation, he rambled on that it can cause lower pregnancy rates, but surgery can significantly lower AMH levels and ovairan reserves. he said again though that it’s at least stage 3 or 4
- since he’s going to treat me just like it’s PCOS, he called in a prescription for extended release metformin and said to cut back on carbs. he also said we would just do meopur (um…we only did menopur) and cut the BCPs. cut back on lupron (after just saying i was on a low dosage) and do just 3 vials of menopur to start and then step down
- he puts the odds of a frozen cycle at half a fresh one so about 25%. but then said in the next breath that if it is an endometrial issue that a frozen cycle is better. he would thaw all three, and we could decide to transfer 2 or 3. we could try to grow the 3rd out to blast and refreeze
- they don’t do PGD, they were finding very low pregnancy rates with embryos tested compared to those that weren’t
- even if christmas hadn’t gotten in the way, they wouldn’t have done a day five transfer unless i had a bunch of 8 cells on day three (although he made a big deal the morning of ET how great it was to have an 8 cell in just three days)
i guess that’s most of it. he mentioned i could start lupron tomorrow (CD20) for another fresh cycle (before we had even discussed a frozen one yet), but when i said we needed more than just a day to decide, he backed off. we left it with we’ll call him when we are ready.
so what do you think, wide world of bloggers? what did he say that contradicts what your doc (or research) has said? because, honestly – i felt like he was some sleazy used car salesman, blowing smoke up my ass and telling me whatever he thought i wanted to hear.
oh, and any advice on the practicalities of getting a second opinion? do i request my files and send the new clinics a copy? do i contact them first, and they request the files?